What Should You Know Before Cycling?
Cycling, also called bicycling and biking, is widely regarded as a sport and a recreational activity. What’s more, cycling is the eco-friendliest mode of transport. It prevents pollution, it is a great exercise for your body and it also saves your money for commutation. And cycling has been a significant event in the Olympics. In this blog, we will introduce you to the basic knowledge of cycling. Let’s go and learn it together.
Benefits of cycling
Cycling is a sport that causes less strain and injuries than other activities and uses all of the major muscle groups as you pedal. It allows your heart, blood vessels, and lungs all to get a workout. You will breathe deeper, perspire, and experience increased body temperature, which will improve your overall fitness level.
The health benefits of regular cycling include:
- increased cardiovascular fitness
- increased muscle strength and flexibility
- improved joint mobility
- decreased stress levels
- improved posture and coordination
- strengthened bones
- decreased body fat levels
- prevention or management of disease
- reduced anxiety and depression
- Types of cycling
There are varieties of biking that are popular in the world:
1）BMX: bicycle and motocross. It is anoff-road sport bicycle used for racing and stunt riding. Best starter bike ever.
2) Tandem Cycling: a type of cycle that can be ridden by more than one person at a time. It is kindly for a starter to ride with an experienced rider.
3) Cyclocross: it’s a kind of bicycle racing featuring pavement, wooded trails, grass, steep hills, and obstacles requiring the rider to quickly dismount, carry the bike while navigating the obstruction, and remount.
4) Track: it is a bicycle racing sport usually held on specially built banked tracks or velodromes using a track bicycle which requires constant pedaling at a high speed.
5) Mountain: it is a sport of riding bicycles off-road, often over rough terrain, usually using specially designed mountain bikes.
6) Road: it is the most widespread form of cycling featuring easy and lightweight. It includes recreational, racing, commuting, and utility cycling.
- What equipment do you need for cycling
Before your cycling, you need to prepare the equipment for yourself. If you’re a new biker, there are a few types of equipment that you need to prepare.
- Bikes: you’d better buy your bike at the local shop after you trying it. Make sure you feel comfortable with it.
- Padded shorts: for cycling at your convenience
- Cycling jersey: to soak up the sweat
- Water bottle for all the hydration that you will need and bottle cage to carry the bottle.
- Pump for sufficient air in your tires, spare tube, and basic tools and chain oil to keep the gears moving properly
- Safety and bike maintenance
You should learn the traffic rules of your state and obey those rules. And keep these tips in mind to stay safe on road：
- Always ride with the traffic and not against it
- Obey the instruction of the traffic lights
- Stay as far to the right when there are no bike lanes
- Avoid cycling on sidewalks and stay on the road
- Keep your bike maintained and make sure to check the breaks before every ride
- Look out for obstacles in the roads from gravel to potholes as they are hazards that can make you fall
- Wear bright clothing and make sure your bicycle has reflectors on them
- Bike Maintenance
Now you have all the basics about cycling – the other important thing is bike maintenance. If you do not keep your bicycle maintained you would not be cycling anywhere. Make sure to oil the chain every 100 miles and more often during wet weather.
Check the bike before every cycle. Doing checkpoints on the brakes, chain, tires, and wheel release helps you to confirm the situation of your bike. Most importantly tune your bike at least once a year by taking it to a bike shop. They will ensure that the chains are replaced and lubed, adjust the gears cable tension, grease the gears, and check the bearings on the tires.